We are thrilled to announce that we were selected as finalists for the 2018 Retailer Excellence Awards (REA) in the category of multiple retail locations. If this sounds familiar, it’s because four years ago, we won an REA award for Store Events! Kelly and Joe represented us at the awards ceremony in New York City over the weekend. Unfortunately, we did not win. That may be, but it was an honor to have been nominated! REA awards, we will see you next year!
Hello World! This Blogging Bear has been out of the store on Maternity Leave for the past few months and it’s like a brand new world here at the Paddington Family of Stores! So much has happened and so many fun and exciting adventures have been had. Here is a look into our last few months:
- Our Blind Date with a Book special helped us raise $200 for the Friends of the Library. What was a Blind Date with a Book, you ask? For $3 or more (your choice!), a plain wrapped book, selected by the genre only, may be purchased! It was the perfect self-care moment- a quiet sit down with your favorite beverage (and a snack, in this Bear’s opinion) to enjoy the unknown title!
- The Holmes House Hospice Center is the only stand-alone residential hospice in Southern Oregon dedicated to hospice care. This facility allows family members to spend time with their loved ones in their final days. We have been working with Southern Oregon Friends of Hospice to sponsor a bookshelf at the Holmes House, which we are filling with a collection of children’s books. We hope these books will allow loved ones to spend precious moments with their little ones in their lives- especially during an emotional and traumatic time. The books we have taken to the House were generously donated by our Book vendors, who were happy to join us in supporting this wonderful cause- one very near and dear to
- our hearts.
- Pam attended several Gift and Trade Shows.
- She was a featured speaker at the National Stationery Show in New York, where she discussed the benefits and trials of owning multiple stores. She also had the opportunity to see the newest trends and styles coming out in the ever-changing stationary world. (Several of the new styles of cards have already begun to appear on our shelves- the Star Wars line from Papyrus-Recycled and the Americana line from Avanti!)
- While at the Dallas Market, she met with several of our clothing vendors. Pam also had the opportunity to meet the owners of some of our vendors- such as Catherine from Catherine Lilywhites! (One of our wonderful clothing lines featured ta the Paddington Jewel Box)
- Kelly and Pam spoke at a Women Entrepreneurs of Southern Oregon (WESO) seminar, where they discussed our Preferred Customer program, community events and partnering with fellow small businesses. During the question and answer portion of their seminar, they were able to give business advice to fellow women entrepreneurs.
The fun did not stop with these exciting adventures! We spent Fourth of July in the park with our Pop-Up Store, celebrated Harry Potter’s Birthday, experienced a wild First Friday, received several pallets of new product and attended other gift shows.
The next few months will be equally exciting! Kelly and Joe are in New York this week, Pam is heading to Las Vegas for the MAGIC clothing show, our display team is preparing for back to school, our event coordination team is gearing up for our BIG fall events and our fall/winter holiday product has begun to arrive! Changes are coming and we are ready!!!
The end of July and the beginning of August are proving to be exciting times here at Paddington!
July 31st is Harry Potter Day here in Ashland!
Harry Potter Fans, Rejoice!!!! It’s that time of year again, it’s Harry Potter’s Birthday!
We will be co-hosting Ashland’s Annual Harry Potter Birthday Party! Together with TreeHouse, Yogurt Hut, Black Sheep and so many other downtown friends, we will be celebrating in true Hogwarts style! Paddington will be turning part of our lower level into Professor Snape’s Potions Dungeon! Our very own potions mistress (and possibly an infamous guest!) will be helping our little (and not so little) wizards and witches create enchanted slime!!!
Stop by and visit all of our wizarding friends, it’s going to be a day to remember!
August 3rd will be a WILD First Friday for our Inspired By Oregon location!
We are excited to be hosting a Round Up for SOAR (Southern Oregon Animal Rehabilitation) Wildlife Center! SOAR is dedicated to advancing wildlife rehabilitation while preserving wildlife in nature and providing public education to foster the peaceful coexistence between humans and wildlife. They will, unfortunately, be closing their doors this August due to lack of funding.
Heather, one of our fantastic sales associates at Inspired By Oregon, has been working for SOAR and brought their cause to our attention. The monies raised during our First Friday event will go directly to them and will help feed and house these vulnerable animals for a few weeks longer.
Heather and her co-workers will be bringing Majik the crow! He is a well adapted crow who enjoys being around humans and is always happy to pose for a picture with his fans. There will also be a few raffle prizes to be won. For a small monetary donation, you can enter to win a one of a kind painting done by one of the animals being rehabilitated by SOAR or a hand-crafted Douglas Fir Bark item. (It could be a pen, a knife, a wine stopper- the possibilities are endless!)
We hope to see you then!
There are many other exciting events coming up at all three of our locations! Stay tuned for more news!
We have what you need- a light up skirt to light up these warm summer nights!
Items have been purchased and put aside, a tent and banner have been ordered and tables have been dusted off! That means only one thing- our newest pop up venture is in the works! Pam and Kelly have hand picked several items to be in the pop up store, Lisa has ordered a new banner and Joelle has already planned out what our booth will look like. Stop by and say hello as you make your way through all the fun!
Most people think of the parade or the amazing fly over when asked about Ashland’s Old Fashioned Fourth of July Celebration. This year, the Paddington Family can only focus on one part- the booths in the park! That’s right!! We are excited to spend part of our work day in the middle of the fun, exciting and busy parade after party.
An added bit of fun has been thrown into the mix- a punch card good for a FREE necklace!! Visit all 4 of our locations this 4th of July, get a punch at every location and get your prize.
Stop by and say hello as you make your way through all the fun!
Father’s Day Gift-Making for Children & Families
Saturday, June 9th
1:30pm to 4:00pm • Downtown Ashland
Coordinated by the Ashland Chamber of Commerce in partnership with participating downtown Merchants.
BEGIN at Paddington Station: Inspired by Oregon to decorate your Bag. Pick-up your Map on June 9th at one of the Merchants shown.